Welcome to Mermaid's Purse Blog. This is for all Mermaids on land or sea who Love, Love, Sea Glass. These translucent baubles are yesterdays items transformed to true treasures of the sea. The allure of Sea Glass is in the history, science and appearance. Check back often to learn as I learn about Sea Glass. We'll journey together over shores and time, tides and currents, searching for the perfect pieces. Fair Winds and Calm Seas. Deborah Leon.....artist/collector

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Sea Glass Drilling..Button or Sponge

So It may not be clear to every one why you would use a bowl with water for drilling Sea Glass…When I first heard of this, I was completely skeptical. Won’t I get an electric shock? Then I reflected to the days of home remodeling and my husband cutting tile in water. I reasoned…..I guess I’ll be okay.

The water reduces the heat from the friction of the drill bit and piece of Sea Glass. Keeping it cool is a must!

Wood Button Vs. Sponge.

These two tools are set in the water with the Sea Glass atop. This helps to reduce the impact of vibrations by absorbing much of it.

First I’ll start with the wood button when beginning the hole in the Sea Glass. It’s a firmer, more stable surface for starting the hole.

Then I’ll switch to the sponge to finish the job….it’s softer and absorbs more than the wood button.

Some pieces of Sea Glass shatter easier than others depending on the color of Sea Glass. I find the light blues are extremely sensitive to vibration and can shatter easily. This is such a bummer….the light blues are definitely in the rare category, hard to find and after getting almost to the end and holding your breath for it seems like an eternity just for it to shatter…..well….it doesn’t make for a happy artist. :(

Stay tuned as next I’ll talk about the Dremel. I love my Dremel!

If you haven’t yet, you need to get the Mermaid’s Purse Newsletter. It is filled with information about the world of Sea Glass. The 5 Part Series on Sea Glass is getting rave reviews. Only SUBSCRIBERS GET THIS , and it’s completely FREE.

Use the form at the top right corner of this page. Your a click away.

Be sure to confirm the email from Mermaid’s Purse. The Newsletters will start coming.

Til we gather again,

Fair Winds and Calm Seas,

Deborah Leon artist/collector

mermaidspurse@att.net

www.mermaidspurseseaglass.com

No comments:

Post a Comment